Thursday, November 5, 2009

What We Have Been Up To!

We went for a drive yesterday... To a town about 35 miles East of where we live now....
There was a river access that we had to stop at.. It had a little flood damage... But most of it was cleaned up.. It looks like a good place for swimming!...When its warm of course! not in November! I cant believe its November!.The reason we went on the drive.... The larger tool is the goat tattoo clamp.. Small one is for the rabbits..

The numbers and letters that came with them....

The little sign my friend got me today when we visited Rosewood Farms... Well I found 2 tattoo clamps for less then one kit would cost. The one for the rabbits is smaller then the 5/16 clamp which is good. And then the goat clamp is a 3/8.... So I know what size I need to purchase the extra letters in.. I was looking at the smaller set from the company it had printed on it.. It is a $60 set!!! I paid $15! Woo Hoo The goat set is around $40.. I got it for $20..
Anyway We drove over to a town to meet the lady I got the goat kit from.. She is really nice and got to chat about goats for a few minutes.. not to long as Kyle and the girls were waiting on me.. Then we visited the farm store there and the river access right outside of town. Girl's favorite places!! It was nice to get out.. Things have been rather limited with Kyle being off.. We are hoping he gets to go back to work in the next couple of weeks but then he will be off for the Holidays!!...
We went and visited Rosewood farm today.. Its a neat place and Great coffee. They are having Christmas in the Ozarks this week. Lots of Holiday things.. My friend bought me the little sign that says Simplify.. She said it was me! Lol Their chocolate is sooo good!!
The rest of the day it was just me, Kyla and Kara at home outside.. I walked the goats around the pasture, and enjoyed the absolutely wonderful sunshine some more.. I hung a light in the chicken house they have quit molting for the most part so I am adding a little extra light so I can have eggs!! I am only getting one every few days right now. But I am adding the light on a sensor so when it gets dark it comes on for a few hours and lengthens their day so they will lay eggs! I do Not want to buy store eggs! They are so bland and colorless...
We are also down to maybe a half gallon of milk every 2 days.. The goats are drying up on me..
Which they freshened the end of January so its about that time.. We won't have milk till March now.. We will miss it.. Then it will be in abundance!lol We will be milking 7 does... When I was milking 4 I was getting 3 gallons a day... I am anxious to see how much we get when I am milking 7!
Okay bedtime for me my eyes can't stay open anymore... Yes I am typing with my eyes closed.. Okay not really see I need to go to bed because I am getting a bit slap-happy! Good Night!

3 comments:

tree ocean said...

Nice pics! Good deal on the tattoo kits!

Too bad there wasn't a better way to save that extra milk you would need a huge freezer to have enough to carry you over!

I guess you could hold some does for fall kidding but who wants babies in the fall?

I have one chicken still laying-the scrawny leghorn hen that doesn't quit! I have three new leghorns chicks this spring that aren't laying yet!

We had scrambled egg burritos with chili yesterday and they were soooo good I know what you mean about store bought eggs! Yuck!

Gail said...

Bargains and sunshine, how can you top that?!

~Tonia said...

I really didnt have extra milk when I was getting the 3 gallons a day thanks to all the bottle babies I had on the other farm lambs and kids.. The most we had at ones time was 12 bottle babies getting 4-20 oz bottles a day that was the first 2-3 weeks of their life.. around 7.5 gallons of milk a day!...
So apparently I wasnt getting enough milk so I would split the goats milk with powdered milk,evaporated milk,yogurt and infant formula. Whatever I could get to add to it....
I bottle feed till they are around 4 months old. Of course after 2 weeks I drop down to 3 bottles and then at a month old I go to 2 24 oz bottles a day. They are usually eating grain and hay by then.
I can freeze milk though in plastic gallon bags. Lay it flat and it freezes and is easy to store. I have froze about a half gallon per bag. You can freeze it in plastic gallon jugs but it takes forever to unthaw..