Thursday, November 12, 2009

Almost A Popsicle......


The girls went to Nana and Grampies last night so I was the sole chore lady this morning... When I went to check the baby bunny it was very cold... Yikes! The temps dropped last night and even though she pulled hair and had a good nest it is one little tiny baby.. It only weighs a few ounces at best.. It was slightly purple and not moving much but with in a few minutes the color was returning and it started moving..
I put the box in the baby cage and moved mom and baby into the house because it was still cold.. I then heated a rag in the microwave and wrapped it up for a few minutes. Then I heated a rice sock in the microwave and put it in the box. It snuggled down and went to sleep.. It was pink again but I was afraid mom hadn't fed it yet. When I got home this evening it was moving around and had a fat belly.... Disaster avoided! Shoooo...
Oh and if you want to know what a rice sock is... Its an old sock with rice in it.. Either tied or sewn shut and then you heat it up 30 seconds at a time till its warm enough for what you need it for.. Whole corn instead of rice works better.. If you are heating things like this for little bodies be careful you don't get it to hot as it can hurt them and possibly kill them if you aren't careful..
I will keep mom an baby in the house for probably a week and let the baby get a good coat on.. I think its going to be cute! It has black markings on its ears...
Well that is my news today! Have a good night everyone!!

5 comments:

Goat Creek Grandma said...

I'm glad you were able to save the baby bun. I can remember a few nights bringing babies in to warm them. The weather is crazy here with getting up to almost 70 during the day and hitting freezing at night.

Love your header!

Take care,
Debbie

Gail said...

That was too close!

tree ocean said...

Great save! I lost a couple litters to freak cold blasts when I was raising rabbits. I would never have thought to move them because of (the apparent myth) about handling/moving baby bunnies.

I had a rice bag and one of my dogs ate part of it and got super sick (he was known to eat anything anyhow) so I would just add that as a caution-esp after repeated microwaves the rice gets very hard and animals can get sick if they eat it. So maybe corn would be better!

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Glad the baby is doing ok!! Nice save. :) My youngest daughter's preschool teacher made them each a 5x5 inch square "boo boo pack" for Christmas last year. It is made of flannel with rice in it. We keep it in the freezer for an ice pack but it can be heated, as you said. It is one of the most useful gifts we have ever recieved!

small farm girl said...

Good save!