Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall Festival and Laundry Soap

The local Highschool Band.. I love marching bands.. A little known fact about me.. I was a flag girl my last 2 years in High school. I loved it!!
Kyle and Tink.. We took the house dogs with us Yesterday. Tink absolutely loved it. She was climbing to his shoulder and watching everything. She would start whining and wanted to run!lol

Belle and Candice.. Belle is not near as brave as Tink. She was Hiding here. The band was going by and she freaked out. I thought she was going to climb in Candice's hoodie with her! We walked by the Kettle Popcorn booth and she hid! Poor thing... She will run and jump in the van now when we say "You wanna go for a ride?"So she is slowly getting use to things like that.. Kyla and Kara Watching the parade. It wasn't a very long parade but who says it has to be huge.. It was fun.. I cant wait for the Christmas Parade! My batch of Laundry soap today.....
The Festival was alot of fun. I got sunburned! Yeah.. I also got a beautiful mum! I hadn't seen one this color. I am going to be planting the other I have bought. I will get a pic of this one though.. I also got a few little things to go in my kitchen. And some neat gourds and squash..
I have tried making it before. Someone told me that you could substitute Baking soda for washing soda.. But the truth is you cant.. They are 2 different things. So I gave up on it for a while because I couldn't find Washing Soda. Well since we moved our little grocery store here in town sells the Washing Soda. And the Health food store I go to has the Fels-Naptha soap now.. So I am going to try it exactly as the recipe says... Except I did add a Tablespoon of Eucalyptus Essential Oil... Hey I cant just follow directions to the letter...... Now that I think about it I really didn't follow them that well at all!!lol
SO I will give you both recipes....
Original Recipe My Recipe...
1 bar of Fels-Naptha(or other bar soap) Same....
1 cup of Washing Soda(Not Baking Soda) 3 Cups of Washing Soda(More is Better Right?)
3 Gallons of Hot Water 4Gallons plus some.....
1 T of Essential Oil
Grate soap into a sauce pan with very hot water Not Boiling. Dissolve soap. Mix into 3-4 gallons of Hot Water then add Washing Soda.. I flip flopped this part and nothing Exploded! Promise!!Lol
Mix together well and add the table spoon of Essential Oil. I am going to try Lavender next time! Eucalyptus and Lavender are disinfectants so is Oregano but I really don't want my clothes smelling like Spaghetti sauce! lol
Anyway It says to mix it in a 5 gallon bucket but I used a big stock pot and poured it back into Laundry soap bottles... Now if this works better then the other. It would have only cost me about $5 to make 4+ gallons of Laundry soap. It filled 3 Bottles. The bottles said they would wash around 300 loads of clothes all together. The 3 bottles cost me about $24 and lasted Maybe a month Around 8 cents a load and the other is 1.6 cents a load.... Basically I would be saving $20 But hey that's $20!!! I can do a lot with $20!
This is already looking like laundry soap the other stuff I tried Did Not look right! It was a lumpy slimy mess....
Anyway We will see how it works!
We have a busy week ahead. The Goat Buck is coming to visit for a month. We are going to go get him tomorrow. I am hauling him in the van! Wont that be fun!! I am ready for these goat girls to be bred so they will stay out of trouble! They get to fat and pregnant they can't slip through the fence like 2 of them have been doing! It doesn't help that my fence charger isn't working worth a flip! I need a new one and I know what I want.. Just have to get the $$..
I hope everyone has a great evening! I have got to get going!

5 comments:

Gail said...

The sign of a good cook, always add your own touch.

Goat Creek Grandma said...

Thank you for posting the recipe. I want to try it but need to find an old pot first. How long does it take to complete making it?

Take Care,
Debbie

~Tonia said...

Debbie-I did it in a one of my Stainless steel stock pots. It washes out clean. It took me Maybe 15 minutes once I got everything together. I think the hardest part is grating the soap.
Lol Gail Yep! I personally think recipes are suggestions with lots of room for adventure!Lol

Rural Rambler said...

Tonia, the Festival looked to be a great day!

tree ocean said...

What a great pic of Candice! The twins have such lovely hair!

You might want to wear a rain slicker while hauling the bucky boy!! LOL If he smells your does on you he might spray all over!

Nah, he'll be good...

Post a pic of him!