Monday, September 21, 2009

Down Pour, Alfalfa and Babies!!

But first some strange fungus in my yard... looks like spilled wax...

Crazed look!!! I don't usually think Alfalfa hay is a big deal because I never needed Alfalfa hay before.. Its like a drug or candy to them now..
They are neck deep in it.. When we made our own hay it had a wide variety of weeds,clovers and grasses and the goats loved it!! I mean LOVED it... Well when we moved last year the hay on the farm wasn't that great to say the least for goats anyway...
Like any other kid they go for the candy first.. Left over grain from milking.....
The adults eating the good stuff. Nice Green Alfalfa... There was a Lot more.. but they ate it.. in less than 20 minutes. Practically licked it up off the ground.. This stuff is expensive but they are wasting very little of it.. So do I pay $7/bale for something they eat almost all of it or $4/bale for something they waste at least 1/3 of a bale?.....
Happy 3 Weeks birthday!!!!
Ain't I cute?????

Shhh Its hiding!!
What I did today.....This was a shelf full of baggies and plastic containers with my spices in them... Isn't it so clean and shiny?? It had been bugging me since we moved in. I just hadn't had time to fix it.. I saved all kinds of little jars of course the easy and more Organized way would be to buy the canning jars and use them But I like variety!!! Just have 5 more shelves to organize..

The storm moving in....
See that dark in the dip between the hills it took about 15 minutes for it to get to us...
Here it is closer. Rumbling and blowing cool air...

Its getting darker... Okay Time for me to go inside.... It started Pouring rain!!!

We thought we had everyone fairly secure but the way the rain was blowing it was hitting the rabbits pretty good. SO Dot and babies are inside for the night along with Cotton who is on the end of the cages and gets the force of everything hitting his cage first..

Apparently there is a leak over Dot and babies cage so that's why they were getting wet. Everyone else was fine and dry.. Goats were getting a little to wet for my liking... We will have to do something about that.. Which I had planned on buying the tarp soon that will fit over the whole barn again...
It is still raining but looks like it will be over soon.. We are going to have to mow soon or we wont be able to find the house, or the animals Or the kids for that matter!
I hope everyone in the path of this storm is okay. Please remember my friend and her family tonight. They just found her brother he has died from a heart attack. He was only 47 year old....
Okay maybe I can sleep now.. Good night all...

9 comments:

The Packs said...

Awww your lil baby bunnies are so cute! They grow up so fast. I hope everyone made it threw the storm ok. It looks pretty bad.

Goat Creek Grandma said...

When we had our goats they loved the alfalfa hay also.

The view from your front porch is awesome. I bet once the leaves really start turning its going to be beautiful!

Take Care,
Debbie

tree ocean said...

Wow what a storm! We are having a drought after that wet early summer.

I buy 5 bales of hay at a time and the first batch has been awful-stems they just waste-and he put up a bunch of better hay but he made me take the last four bales of the stemmy stuff yesterday....grrr...but it is $3 a bale and soon we will be in the better stuff.(still for $3 a bale and it's organic!)Everyone else selling square bales is getting $5 +

small farm girl said...

Boy, those pictures of those cute babies brings back memories. Such cute balls of fuzz. The storm looked like it was a nasty one. I'm with you, I don't like my animals getting wet.

Eve said...

Those bunnies are just the cutest Tonia. That storm was scary.
My thoughts go to your friend and her family.

TJ said...

Wow! What a storm! So sorry to hear about your friend's brother. Hope they will find comfort soon.

And I hope all your animals did okay through the storm!

Feral Female said...

What lovely goats and rabbits you have!

Rural Rambler said...

Sorry about your friend's brother, I will keep them in my prayers today.

That little bun in the pocket-darling.

Tonia I love the picture from the front porch that you have captured the porch swing chain. Cool.

kestrel said...

I hope you are going to keep all the bunnies, they are really so cuddly