Sunday, July 19, 2009

I Found A Few Things!!

Some wild mint.... or some that got out of control. Its rather bitter smelling compared to some I have grown before. But there is a lot of it..
I found the patch of Strawberries a previous house owner planted a few years ago. I was able to salvage about 7 plants.. What the goats and chickens didn't eat!

9 Eggs!! They are coming back up in their laying! Gotta love my chickens!! Trying to convince my MIL to take a few. She lives in town But with just hens no one would ever KNOW... Lol


Here is Ethel.. She is the goat that had to be de-horned.. As you can see she is healing up well. Just has a bit of a scab on one side and doing well!. She is still a little head shy though But If I am sitting down milking or busy with other things she will come up to me for a scratch...



I promise I do NOT make them eat out of the little feed pan!!! But they are thoroughly convinced it is better then the feed out of the big pans!! I had to do a little doctoring on Hopes feet tonight. She had a few raw spots in between her hooves. So I dropped a few drops of Oregano essential oil which I know she didn't not appreciate it does burn and then followed with Lavender Essential oil.. Hopefully it will be better.
Then I stopped by the health food store today and picked up Sage essential oil. I am trying to dry Hope and Dottie up before my surgery so the girls just have April and Sunshine to milk. But they aren't dried up yet and SO I am going to try the Sage essential oil. I massaged it into their udders so hopefully it will help.. We will see this is a new one to me... I will do this once a day for about 3-4 days I think....
We are generally at church this time of night But we took a nap this afternoon and instead of oh 3o minutes we ALL 5 slept for 3 hours!!! I do believe we were tired....
So I am off to play a game with my girls! Have a good night everyone!

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

I am curious about the natural oils you are using on your goats. Where do you find information on those? Books?

Sounds like a full day with a wonderful nap. Those are my favorite :)

~Tonia said...

Books and websites generally. I have been using some of them for years Like Lavender and Tea Tree oil. I also keep Rosemary, Eucalpytus and Peppermint on hand. I buy 16oz bottles of Lavender and Peppermint I use them a lot.
I use peppermint every day on the goats Especially when they first freshen to keep the milk flowing and no hard congested udders.
I love essential oils. They have so many uses. I have several different ones.
Oregano is one I just started using last year. It can be Very harsh though. But it is Antibacterial And Antiviral. But it being so harsh limits its use.. Putting it on your skin is Like sticking your hand in a fire! Burns enough to make you cry!! I promise I did!! Lol I usually try it on myself before I use it on anyone else!

small farm girl said...

Your goats are really looking good. I guess I'm going to have to get some books about the oils too. lol. My chickens are starting to lay more too. Must be the weather.

kestrel said...

I wish I could have fresh eggs but we are not really allowed to keep chickens in our townships. What are the blue/mauve flowers on your header cos they are so lovely, we don't have them here.

Kritter Keeper said...

wow, a fellow oil lover, whoo hoo! i use young living oils and have for maybe 10 + years now. awesome stuff. all pure, no additives. saved many a doctor visit for me. you know you can apply any veggie oil after applying the essential oil to eliminate the sting. does not dilute the effect of applying the essential oil 'neat' (directly).

love your pastel eggs!

Wood Mouse said...

Hi with the mint, try taking some root cuttings to start of fresh young plants and that should get rid of the bitter odour from the mint. In my limited experience it seems to happen with older plants, but in young fresh growth it goes. Now if you could post me a few eggs...

tree ocean said...

Nice pix! We are back in eggs too but I thought it was the brooder light being on all night...Maybe the hens were molting-the geese are finally starting to feather in after a sorry week or two of pin feathers... Let us know how the oil works on the hoof.

Rural Rambler said...

Tonia, how excited was I to find you left a comment on my blog? It made my heart happy. A Sho-Me blogger and you are oh so close to me! I googled MO bloggers and came up with nada of any interest when I started my blog. It really is a small wonderous kind of world. I have lived in MO almost all my 57 years with the exception of Country Husbands military career.

I have done some reading here at your blog and will read more tonight. Ethel is a good start! I am clueless about the "following" thing so don't think I'm stuffy about that. You are on my blog roll though. Thanks for your visit :)