Monday, July 27, 2009

Goat Gate And The Weekend!

Working on the new gate! Candice in the back ground keeping the curious ones out of Kyles way! Woo hoo isn't it pretty...Lol.It works well for us. It still has a few little things to be done but I don't have to crawl through barbed wire anymore!! I love the old gate for it!! Hope watching from the barn.. But she is in someone's spot... Ethel reclaimed her Spot!! Lol Ethel and Hope are the youngest out of the adult goats and they go round and round sometimes. One sleeps in the tub I put some of their feed in and the other goes and butts her out and takes her place..
Mariah!! She is such a funny little goat. She thinks ordinary goat rules do not apply to her! But she is sooo cute!

April , Sasha and Dottie watching the action from a distance.. Probably trying to figure out how they are going to use this to benefit them. You can see my poor chickens in the background in their temporary pen. I do let them out.. As long as they go back in every night and I have no one trying to roost elsewhere!...
Babies love attention. It kept them out of Kyle's way to get the gate in.The light colored one is the only Male goat we have right now. He is a wether and destined for the freezer! He is making it very hard!!... Brat!The scrawny looking goat is Sunshine. I got her for my birthday 5 years ago she was 2 months old and the start of my addiction! I had been helping my mom with her meat goat herd for almost 2 years and planning on getting my own. She gave me one for feeding bottle babies and one for my birthday. Lol You know you cant have just One goat...
I promise I do feed Sunshine!Lol She just doesn't hold weight on at all If I feed her more she gives more milk.. The move stressed her out big time but she is putting on weight and is very slick and shiny! I have learned to not stress so much over her lack of weight. She doesn't have parasite overload and she isn't anemic. She is just skinny... High metabolism! She starts putting on weight in August when she starts coming in heat and getting ready for babies.
Also I switched feeds and she cant pick thru this one it is a pellet and its doing really well for her and everyone else. Better yet they love it! I mix it with the Black Oil Sunflower seeds(BOSS) and they eat it all right down. I have tried switching it a regular Dairy goat pellet before because of the higher protein but they looked at me like I was crazy. They would nibble but then eat around it. So I figured it was a waste of money and went back to what I had done before. I used a 16% dairy grain with Calf Manna and Boss added to it.. But I was never really happy with it and it was a little costly. They liked to pick the corn out of it too!
So then our feed store started carrying this Stock grower that is a 14% the protein is a little more with the BOSS added to it. It has several different things in it and has less corn in it than the other stuff! Which is good!
Anyway the older goats really took the move hard and wasn't looking very good. So I was looking at what the feed store had to offer and talking to one of the guys there about it. He was telling me about this Of course its not been approved for goats.. What has?? But I started mixing this with their normal feed and they were picking it out and leaving the rest!! I had tried alfalfa pellets and Hay before but they play in that expensive stuff again a waste of my money! So I have mixed grass hay and this feed for them now. I try to get some Lespedza hay to throw in for them but we moved a little farther away. I think. I need to drive the back roads over there to see how far it is. It actually maybe closer.. I don't know we will see!
We had family over this weekend. My brother and his family and my parents. It was alot of fun and we ate to much of course.. But it was good BBQ! We had a good visit. Everyone is getting ready to go back to school and we wont see them as much. Summer is almost gone...
Hopefully this weekend it will be the chicken's new house!! We will see! Have a good Monday everyone!

5 comments:

tree ocean said...

Great pix! Nice fence and gate and I like the barn too.

I have one scrawny white doe always had trouble keeping her fit but she is fine boned. Her horns are almost see through and fragile looking. I bet her tiny bones are the same way. My big boned goats are all fat and shiny.

Cute wether. :)

Aimee said...

Nice looking goats! I love the black spotty one. You sure take care with your feed! Mine are on 100% browse except the milkers, who get a pint of super-goat on the milking stand.

~Tonia said...

The ones milking right now get what they need in grain and I dont have the room Yet to be 100% browse. Everyone else just gets what is left over from the milkers which isnt much and then everyone gets a little at night. Only one out there isnt a milker since she is 3/4 Boer and 1/4 Nubian. Thats Ethel. Everyone alse is at least Half Dairy goat of some sort and is or will be producing milk.
Since they aren't able to browse (we only have an acre fenced in right now) they need more than just what is in their pasture. They get hay too. I have another almost an acre that needs fencing fixed so they can be out there and not be eating so much hay right now.. They have ate down all the high weeds, small trees and grass seed heads. They are down to just grass and think they are Horribly mistreated because its Just grass!! Hopefully we will get the fence up soon and they can go to eating on the rest of it!

~Tonia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kestrel said...

Really good shots of your place. The goats look real glossy and seem to like the new place. I agree about your kitchen - it has so much space and it looks so lovely with all those windows to look out.