Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Life Goes On...


This was a black snake helping himself to some eggs earlier. My girls removed him from the nest. I don't mind sharing a few eggs occasionally as long as they also help with the mice and rat population and leave any baby chicks alone. We think its actually a Speckled Kingsnake It does have a slight pattern to it and is black and yellow on the belly. Generally they just get classed as a black snake around here. Which are good to have for the poisonous snakes and other snakes they will eat them Along with my chicken eggs!!LOL
As you can see he wasn't very aggressive and my 2 youngest girls were handling him!! Not bare handed but with sticks. I never minded the girls playing with creep crawlies as long as they keep them Outside!! Lol.. Now they have had Lizards in a cage but I told them never a Snake or Tarantula for a pet!!! I would draw the line there!!

8 comments:

Goat Creek Grandma said...

This reminded me of the day I went to collect eggs and almost grabbed a black snake. I know their good and all but their stil creepy crawlies! :)

Debbie

Bethany said...

I think I'd be pretty startled to see him in my coop, but if he were in my house, there might be a genuine Freak Out. :)

small farm girl said...

Brave girls, or crazy, not sure yet.

waylandcook said...

We have one here that has been here for 7 years. His favorite past time is scaring my daughter on her bike. He jumps at here when ever he gets a chance. His name is Charlie. We have babied him since we bought the place. We found him in the tack room in the barn and at that time he was able to span the length of it. I do not know how big he is right now.

Mama said...

Ew LOL

kestrel said...

Poisonous or not, it is a little too long and large for my liking. Your girls must be so use to snakes cos i would not have my feet so close to one.

Kritter Keeper said...

kudos to your smart daughters! black aka king snakes are awesome and friendly. i always see our lone one in june. i would like to pet it but i don't think it would want that! so, i just tell it to leave my toads alone. one time i was petting nugget's belly and didn't notice slither. he/she was only a couple of feet away and silly me i shrieked! slither did nothing. eventually he/she went up the tree to find a cool spot.

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Snakes are really cool critters, and so beneficial. It's nice of you, and the chickens, to share eggs with it from time to time. But I think I'd draw the line there. They're welcome outside. But anywhere inside belongs to me.