Monday, May 25, 2009

Sleep In... I think not!

I tried sleeping in since it was a holiday and everyone was home. Girls had company stay the night so there were 5 giggling girls in the house. But you would think sleeping in I would get up feeling refreshed... Well I did till I went to do chores and the Milk girls were upset because I was late... The babies thought they were starving for sure.. SO they were running up on the stand which they know is a BIG No-no.. Making the 1st milk goat get all stompy right on to the edge of the bucket and spilling a good amount all over ME!
Finally get the milking done! Then it starts Pouring rain!!! I still haven't cleaned out water tubs for everyone else! SO I am in the rain cleaning the tubs out and here come the pigs. I count them1-4.. Where is # 5?? So I wait and fill up all the water troughs and still no # 5... The cows are back over the hill and you cant see them because of the grass and the hill. SO I put the hose in the last water trough to be filled and head out across the field looking for pig number 5... Then I see a bunch of cows that look like they are in our field but NOT our cows!! Its still pouring rain!! I am wading through thick grass and clover knee high and the taller grass is almost chest high on me.. Getting soaked but determined to see who's cows those are.. As I come down the hill I see a couple of our cows off to the side. I get a little closer to the back fence and realize its the neighbors cows but they are on their side of the fence. Shooo that's good! But still looking for pig # 5! So I head toward the cows to make sure everyone is accounted for and walk up through the grass and there is Pig#5. Stretched out next to the cows snoozing in the rain!
At least it was warm out and not storming...
SO I get back in the house getting the milk all put up and ready to head to out to some friend's house for a BBQ. I make home made chocolate syrup for milk instead of store bought and had just made up a new batch last night. I was putting it back in the fridge and it barely hit a milk jar. IT Busted the whole entire jar of Chocolate syrup goes Slowly running all over the bottom of the fridge.. I couldn't believe it! It would have lasted for a long time! All well My day did get better...
The girls found this in the shed caught in the spider webs. We got it all cleaned off and put it in the little cage to make sure it was okay. With in a few minutes it was flying around the little cage...

It was so pretty and amazing to hold this little fellow in your hand. Rarely do you see them holding still let alone holding them! We let him go a little while later.. My parents went to Louisiana this weekend. Kind of an annual thing for our family. We go down and have a huge crawfish boil and visit with our family down there. Well since we didn't get to go this year they brought us back 10 pounds of Boudain!! It is soooo good!! Of course I would have loved to have some crawfish and all the stuff to go with it. But the boudain was a good substitute.
Well I am headed to bed!! There will be no sleeping in tomorrow!! It just isnt worth it!! Lol


5 comments:

Jenny said...

It seems like whenever I am trying to get something done quickly, things just go south from there. I can't help thinking to myself, "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get."
~Jenny~

Evelyn said...

I'm sorry your day started out so badly. But, helping save a hummingbird made it better I'm sure. I think ti's incredible that a spiderweb could catch a hummer! They are indeed just so incredible, I love them. I have my entire front yard planted in hummingbird & butterfly attracting plants.
I think it's just too funny about the pig snoozing. Sorry you had to get so wet to find that out. I'd say it means she's very comfortable there, not feeling the need of protection of the group. That's a very good thing!
Sounds like the grass is growing great too! And, to be that high w/ so many animals crowded on it!!! Most of the stock is on that pasture... right?
Hope the BBQ went better than the morning!

Merit said...

Sleeping in is definately not worth it around here either! Animals do not sleep in because they nap in the afternoon :) lol!

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

So sorry you had such a bad start to your day but glad things got better. The only good thing about starting a day like that is that you get all the bad things out of the way with early.

kestrel said...

I like rainy days but i guess it's no fun where there's so much to do, sounds like Old McDonald had a farm. Can imagin pig #5 lollying in the mud and rain and loving it. Lucky humming bird! Hope you get to sleep in another day