Monday, April 6, 2009

Where Is Spring????

A little frog in the pond.. I bet he is in the deep right now or froze.....
We drove out to me parent's new place and saw this on the way.. I love the old Silos but I think its neat when they have the trees growing inside of them!!

Some of the chickens...They have almost all their feathers except under their wings.. I cant figure out why I keep losing them. I have never had such bad luck with chicks....


The little turkeys. We have lost 5 of those. But the rest seem to be doing really well. They are staying warm and eating well. They are funny!
The low tonight is 20*!!! It is soooo cold!!! We are under freeze warnings.. I feel sorry for some of those that have started gardens already. It will slow things down for sure!
I don't usually plant most of my garden till May. I just don't want to mess with covering it and worrying about it when it gets this cold... Now it would be alright for lettuce and cold natured things. There is something I haven't tried but an older couple swear by is they throw there ashes from the wood stove in one certain spot every year and then they plant there lettuce there the end of February.. They say it does great!
We had our church Drama this weekend and it was a full house each night. I really missed working on it this year. Maybe next year I will have things going better here...
Well I need to get going! Its Monday Morning...

8 comments:

Evelyn said...

I really think that trees growing out of silos is cool as well! I keep meaning to take pix of them, but somehow I always see them w/ I don't have my camera handy or I'm in too much of a rush to stop.
I'm sorry to have to let you know that your heat came out here. We've got late June temps already. I'm harvesting peas, lettuce, spinach & the first few tomatoes! The mint is going great guns right now. I picked some peppermint for mint extract. I'll be making some mint sauce soon as well. I love the lamb w/ mint sauce!
It might be cold there, but it looks like the snow passed just to the north of you!

Amy said...

I wonder where Spring went too!

Kritter Keeper said...

spring was with us yesterday but not this week! thank you for the ashes tip...i love to learn gardening hints!

American Way Farm said...

Love the tree growing out of the silo. Don't think I've ever seen anything like that around here. We're still a few weeks away from spring although the daytime temps have been as high as the high 40s. Nights are still freezing though. We're into mud season big time. My barnyard is a quagmire! -Sancy

Jennifer said...

I am wondering where Spring went too! I am so over winter, ready for some warm weather!

Evelyn said...

OK, so how is everyone? Everybody make it thru the cold OK? It's not over yet! To cold back there!

DayPhoto said...

Finally we are having enough warm weather Terry is back to tilling the land! Here is hoping warm days are coming your way also!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Walter Jeffries said...

There's a silo with a tree growing up out of it about half an hour from us. That one is straight. It is amazing how many silos are tilted and how long they last that way. We have standing, sometimes decade old, bets of when they'll fall.