Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Little Fishy.....


It was a beautiful afternoon and so they went fishing yesterday.... They caught 7 Black Crappie I know only 6 in the bucket!! #7 was being shown. Its a start of a collection that will end up in a fish fry eventually!!
Chuck.... He is a friendly fellow and will eat out of your hand. Him and the steer like people..
Poor Chickens!! These hens are looking a little rough around the edges!! Roosters seem to need to prove the point to the others roosters and go after the same hens all the time.. So they are separate for a while. You can see that the hen looking at me, her tail feathers look pretty rough what is left anyway. Some have bare spots on their wings and backs. Others have cuts from the roosters spurs too.. Poor things But they are still laying and are close to the house to be babied some.. Extra scraps, Old hay to dig through and some more green grass.... What more could they ask for?
This hen is about 4 years old. She still lays and is trying to go broody... She is sassy too!! I like her.
Some more of the ones in recovery... I lost more then I thought to the dogs as I was moving everyone I realized some of my Americaunas were missing and one of my favorite white hens... Hopefully being closer to the house they wont go MIA.....
Screamin for Mama!!!

Her sister is not real concerned obviously!!! This little cat is to funny! And cute!

I have been a little under the weather. Yuck!! I took it easy today...sort of. I hope to feel better tomorrow.. It rained some today but we have rain in the forecast everyday for the next week.. Everything is growing and so green!! I LOVE Spring!!! Now to get some things planted soon!!

8 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

I love the chickens! And my gosh, the kittens....so sweet!! I am with you on loving spring. But I am so darn tired of the rain - rainy days make me tired. ;) I hope you get to feeling better soon! :)

Evelyn said...

Feel better, stay inside, snuggled up in bed w/ the girls & DH waiting on you. Yea, right, in what world? lol What dog did you loose chickens to??? I don't remember reading about that! Not one of the LGDs! A house dog? A neighbor dog?
I'm glad Chuck is turning out to be a sweetie. How tall is he? I'd love to see a pix of him w/ someone to get a comparison.
Those are some good sized fish!! How big are they? If that's a 5 gallon bucket, they must be about a foot long? Let's just hope there's no pasture fishing this year!

Go get some sleep! Warm fluids!

~Tonia said...

It was the younger LGD's a couple of months ago. Apparently they were sneaking some of them.. I would see feathers but never anything else and with the roosters acting like that I thought it was from that...
The fish are about 8 inches keeping size but not huge. They were coming up to the surface and looked like little sharks!

Evelyn said...

Bummer about the chickens! Hopefully, that's not a problem anymore. You're so good at counting chickens, are you keeping count of them? How many are there?
8" isn't a bad size. Specially for a private pond. For there to be so many good sized fish, are the turtles under control? (IhopeIhopeIhopeIhope). I still wanna go swimming! :)

I hope you're feeling better!!!

American Way Farm said...

That last picture of the sleeping kitten is so cute. BTW, my chickens are looking much better since I won the argument with the rooster. Leaves are just becoming visable on the Poplar trees here. I love that yellow-green of new leaves. Hope you feel better soon. -Sandy

kestrel said...

Beautiful countryside for living and growing up. Everything's so green and fresh. I love the kitten with the 3 colours. Have you given them names yet?

Juli said...

I hope you're feeling better soon ! i'm looking forward to more pictures :)

Are the white and black hens in the picture Delawares ?

Mount Belly Mama said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my post "will you get an epidural?" I can't even begin to tell you how much all the comments I got meant to me. I posted another one today.

Thank you for being part of a life-changing experience...