Friday, March 6, 2009

What A Day!!!


100 little Colored Rangers! I thought I had 2 weeks till our 100 little Colored Ranger chicks from JMHatchery would be here... They showed up TODAY!!!! Apparently I got them mixed up with the turkeys! I just kicked the last bottle lamb out of my house yesterday and I now have 100 regular sized chicks and 25 banties!!! Lol We will work on their bigger brooder pen tomorrow! At least it was 74*+ outside!! Here is a little buff Silkie passed out!! They are sooo cute hopefully we have lots of hens!!!Another Silkie and a little wild banty! I don't know what breed the striped one is But it tried to jump out of the box Several times!! LOL And another Silkie!! Technically I wasn't supposed to get Silkies in the Banty assortment and I was also suppose to get just clean legged banties Or Feathered legged.. I asked Since they were the same price couldn't they just mix the 2 so I could have both? She said Sure.... Lol. She threw the Silkies in too Since they were all in the same cage... All the little banties.......I had planned on getting seeds started But its suppose to rain Monday and Tuesday so that will be a good rainy day activity!!
3 little bottle babies!!! Double yolker....
Another thing that we did this week was disbud the dairy goat babies!! Poor babies!! It really doesnt hurt after a few minutes. I am finding out why some people disbud.... After getting caught by a few horns and having to pull the not so smart ones out of the fence time after time!!! I trim the hair around the horn bud..The actual burning.. I have one of the girls hold the baby and then I lay its head across my leg and hold ears back so they don't get burned. Do the countdown times 2 and then they jump up and get a bottle Or go nurse on momma for a few seconds and then back to playing....This is what it looks like after... Ziva was running around seconds after... Acting like no big deal..

It was an absolute Gorgeous outside! After getting all baby chicks settled we visited a new thrift store and found on yard sale and hit jackpot.! I have been looking for a birdcage for a while now. for Middle girls dove. Well found ONE!!! $15 for a $75 cage!!! I was sooo happy then found one for a rabbit. Its for an inside rabbit for Youngest girl.. She has a little dwarf Hotot and he really needs to be inside since he is soo small.. It was a $60 cage from Petsmart...$10!! They had a lot of stuff that was a good deal but $25 was my limit...

Oldest Girl is at a church youth function tonight.. She doesn't go often she is my little homebody!! Lol But her best friend was going tonight so she decided to go And it was at a dairy farm!! Lol Her favorite place Farms!!

So I will say Good Night now and I hope everyone has a great weekend. We will probably be outside all day tomorrow.... Woo Hooo

7 comments:

Evelyn said...

So, maybe Spring has sprug? It's supposed to get cold next week tho. Brrrrrrr!! Great about getting the Rangers! Turkeys in 2 weeks??? yikes! Is DH going to give up part of his garage? You aren't going to have them in the house or mud room... are you???
How many weeks till the baby wabbits land? If Spring hasn't sprung... it's sure winding up & getting ready to! March already! It's sure coming in like a lion some places!

~~~~~~Tonia said...

If the rabbits are bred it should be anyday now.. The 100 chicks are in the garage right now and the 25 in the house.. They will get moved to the big barn later today.When we get the big brooder done.It was started a couple of weeks ago then left because we thought we had time. It wont take long to finish it.
Its only suppose to be 40-50* next week chilly compared to the last few days But not in the 20-30's which we are so glad for!!!Headed outside now..

Amy said...

It's nice weather here now too!

Hot Belly Mama said...

ha ha! I love it! How did you get talked into getting 100! That's how many my hubby wanted and I said no. We got 27 instead.

The silkies are CUTE!

Hot Belly Mama said...

This is totally off topic but I just changed my blog layout. Can you tell me if it's okay? My screen is extra wide and I tend to see it differently than others.

Thanks!

Evelyn said...

We had 250 last year. Tonia brooded 125 at her old place & I did 125. I set up a brooder in the garage & then opened it up & let them roost in the garage. I didn't have any LGDs to keep the farm clean of predators, so I wanted to keep them cooped at night. We didn't have any coop, so I put a foot hay on the garage floor & kept them there at night. Nothing else was in there. Tonia's DH was too excited to have a garage to give it up to a bunch of chix. :)
It takes that many chix to keep the farm cleaned up of bugs. Our Farm is in the Ozarks & we have ticks galore for them to eat. We now have lots more livestock than we used to have as well. So, we need the chix to keep flies down. The side effects of chix is great too. 250 chix give off a lot of meat & eggs! :)

Mama said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!Enjoy the chicks;)