Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Busy Weekend....

This is one of the spots the pigs were in before this last one. It has just grass coming up... Red string and wire is our fence we were moving.

This is another spot they were in its got so much grass in it compared to what it had before. It was mostly Poke weeds,Brambles and Mayapples. Of course some of that still wont sprout for another month and then we will see what is there...

Here is part of the place we moved them too. Its is the biggest one yet but what you cant see is how overgrown it is behind those trees and to the left of the pic. We went around all of that because there was no way to get an electric fence through it. We left them happily digging through new territory.

Taken Saturday... They didn't fully open till yesterday. It was chilly and rainy Saturday..
A surprise I found yesterday moving the pigs. It was half buried under the fall leaves..

Doesn't this look like FUN?... Yeah it wasn't... When they say how Easy it is to cut a bull calf compared to banding for castrating. They are NOT telling the truth...... Those babies draw up to their hip bones and I am not kidding!! I did it just like they said. they don't drop out they draw up! The book says they will drop out and you cut the cords and your done... Nope not happening.. Anyway we got it done. Him and another that is 4 months old. This guy was over due. He is 5 months old and was learning... But we took care of that. Now he can be on momma for a while longer and with the main herd with out worrying that he will breed some one..
One little stinker that didn't get an ear tag. Her and her momma were being difficult and it was getting to cold to feel my finger tips...


Anxious Mommas... They knew we were hurting their babies.....
Even though it rained Saturday we got a few things done. We got the calves ear tagged. They get Yellow tags and didn't like it a bit! I have gotten really good at the ear tagging. No one bleeds from it anymore..

We worked for several hours out in the rain Saturday. But the bull had broken through the fence and gotten back in with cows.. And had let another bull in with it and they were fighting. We got the cows locked up so we could catch the babies. The bull was busy fussing with the other bull so he didn't notice we had locked the cows away.. Till it was to late. Kyle herded him back around to the gate he fixed and back out with the other boys. Off he went running to fussy and argue with the younger boys about girls they cant get too....

With the rain and the work we were all wore out. And my brother called and invited us over for Steak and crawfish! Yum!! My mom and SIL had went to Louisiana to visit family and they brought back crawfish!! It was sooooo good. The steaks were from a steer they had just had butchered too. So good food all around..

Yesterday after Sunday school we moved the pigs and got them settled in a new spot.. They were loving it.. We were outside all afternoon and got back inside and realized I had less then 30 minutes to get cleaned up and leave for church. No big deal we are less then 5 minutes from there.. Usually this time of year I am working on props for our annual Easter drama, but since moving to the farm I didn't do it this year.. I miss it but it couldn't be helped.. The drama director told me she missed me though.. This pic is from last year. 2 of my girls being silly. The tomb in the background is paper maiche and chicken wire. I built the temple to the left out of foam and 2X4's. Its alot of work but a lot of fun.. I get to use my creative thinking!lol Kyle did the sound for 9 years and the girls and I would also act in it.. No big parts but part of the crowd.. We decided this year we would like to sit back and watch it.
I also got to direct the kids to where they needed to go and making sure everyone had their hand held props.. A lot of fun and A lot of work... Its free to go to it and we would have about 1500 people in 3 performances over the weekend. It will be fun to watch it this year but I do miss it... Oh and I brought or made arrangements for some of the animals too.... Imagine that... lol
Well I have got to get moving.. Monday is my sleeping in day and I have overslept my sleeping in.. I was up at 8am... I have turkeys to get ready for still and rabbits and chickens to move.. I hope everyone has a good monday...

6 comments:

Hot Belly Mama said...

I love spring! I need to get ready for Easter this year too. We are hosting a big easter egg hunt here this year!

Evelyn said...

Those pasture sections look sooooo beautiful!!!
And that little boy looks so funny in that big squeeze chute! I'm amazed they can't slip right thru the front! I thought the weather held off a little longer than that, bummer! I'll be there 'soon' to help... I hope! Was that Aleta w/ her baby (Sirloin?).
When I come back, I can bring you oranges or avocados, which do you want? Or both? I'm working on the grey water system from the washer today. Just went out & got 1/2 hose for it. I got 1,000ft & figure that whatever's left I bring back there. We need to get something set up to water the fruit trees during July/August.
It's too bad that you aren't working on the pageant this year. But... just think how much they'll appreicate you next year!!!
When I saw the pix of the stage, my first thought was, my goodness... Kyle has just done wonders with that house! lol

Evelyn said...

Hey wait a minute! Mayapples??? And I paid for a Mayapple tree???

~~~~~~Tonia said...

Its not the same thing these are prolific plants that come up and die off every year. They are umbrella shaped and get one little fruit. Its one windy day here up to 45 mph gust its crazy..... Storms are in the immediate forecast.
Green grass is slowly coming in..

Jennifer said...

Wow you have been busy! Sounds like your to-do list is getting marked off much faster than mine! Hope the weather doesn't get too bad there tonight. We are under a tornado watch here.

Carolyn said...

I am addicted to farm blogs. I have an acre in VA with two nubians and a flock of ducks. I want more!!!

Your photos are wonderful. I saw your blog on the yahoo group. I'll be back for more :)