Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Sorrow.....

I have no pictures tonight I just don't have the energy.. We had a heartbreaking day...
We had to put down one of the Goat mommas having a baby.. It was coming wrong and she wasn't dilating and her hips weren't letting the baby through no matter how hard i tried to rearrange the baby. I tried for 3 hours before I finally gave up completely exhausted and shaky. She was in extreme pain. I put her down and then opened her up to see if there was another baby. So I could possibly save it but it was just one huge buckling probably at least 12 lbs. He had been dead for a while..
There is much more to this story but I am not going into all of it.. I just want to say that if you raise animals to sell please be a responsible breeder and only sell those that you want to keep yourself!! It is indeed humane and responsible to Not pass on less than desirable traits or to sell good specimens to people who are new to the type of animal. Not a real happy blog post and I am sorry for it..
We did have one bright spot today A first freshener had a little girl with almost no effort!! I will post pics tomorrow and hopefully we will have more babies. We are starting to wind down this kidding and lambing season.
Have a good night all!!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Hugs to you!

Goat Creek Grandma said...

Tonia.... I feel your pain. *hugs* Our first experience was just like this. The poor doe was carrying twins and they both passed too. It looked like they had been gone for a while. I was all choked up just reading your post as the memories came back.

Take care,
Debbie

Evelyn said...

I'm sorry you had to go thru this. I'm sorry she had to go thru it. But, it likely was really because she had a single baby. If it'd been twins, it probably would have been OK. Can't blame her breeder for that. Some people are just so sentimental about babies, they get attached & don't want to think about eating any of them. They want them all to go out into the world & live forever.
Don't eel badly about it for you or for her. Don't be angry at anyone, it's a negative energy that you don't need on top of loosing her.

Hugs to you, sounds like you need it.

tree ocean said...

How awful! I know you did everything you could! I had to pull Daphne's big doe or would have lost both of them, and then Cricket had one little doeling-her first-with no problems-just how things go sometimes.....*hugs* tree

American Way Farm said...

I'm so sorry for both you and the momma. What a heartbreaking experience that must have been. Here's hugs to you and hoping you have a better day tomorrow. -Sandy

Bethany said...

Aww, that's to bad! I'm so sorry about it. We had the same exact thing happen on our farm once. She had a small birth canal and had always had twins. The last time, she had 1 huge single buck and it did her in. Like someone above said, I doubt this was a breeding flaw, just one of those freak incidents. I'm glad the other little one was fine though!
God bless!
~Bethany~

~~~~~~Tonia said...

On the breeding/breeder problem after discussing it with a vet and another goat person we have all agreed with this doe, the problem didnt allow her hips to open up to have the baby. It was a problem visually noticeable that should have been a reason to cull her to a meat market rather than selling her to someone who would have bred her especially a first time goat buyer. She would have been able to have the baby if I had been able to reach in far enough to turn the baby because he was a long skinny kid. But being that long I couldnt get his head forward and in line with his feet to deliver. We are just starting here on this farm and hoping to get things going to a better breeding program.. Having to untangle the occasional set of multiples is one thing but this was an entirely different thing. I am not a newbie to goats and I have done plenty of research on them. I dont have 20-30 years of experience but I do have some experience with them. I dont jump into getting a certain species of animals with out doing my homework..
I just take this experience as an awareness for me to be more conscientious of the babies I sell and keep for breed stock and to send to the processors the ones that should not Ever be bred.