Sunday, January 25, 2009

Remembering.....

Pictures from the ice storm of January 2007 they are small because I didn't have them on my own PC and had to copy them from the web to my pc..... A view of our old house from across the field..
Trees in the front yard.. We usually parked our big truck there...

One of the ways out completely blocked.....

My weeping willow tree just kept bending over and never broke.....

Going back to my parents house behind our old house...


Some of the branches that fell on our house and slide off......


We are getting ready for a winter storm with possible Ice.. YUCK!!! It made me think about the ice storm in 2007. It was Rough... We had up to 18 people in our house at one time 10 of them kids under 11 yrs old!! We had our wood stove to cook on and we were all in 3 rooms in the house.. I didn't have as many animals at the time but it was still rough to take care of them..
All day was spent keeping the fire going and fixing meals.. Of course heating water to at least get a sponge bath!!! I would wash my hair as quick as possible in cold water.. Talk about a brain freeze! Most everyone went home with in 2 days but our friends with 3 kids was there for another 5 days.. We were with out power for 9 days.. the last time I had been in a ice storm was 20 years before when I was a kid..
The weather map is making it look like we will get more sleet and snow though so that is GOOD!! But I don't count to much on what they say all the time when it comes to snow... Lol... Okay off to check on goats one last time before I go to bed.. Several are getting really close.....

12 comments:

Evelyn said...

Stay warm, healthy & safe!!!

Tabetha -n- Brian said...

Oh, I hope the ice storm misses you!!! Stay warm and safe!!!

Goat Creek Grandma said...

Tonia, I remember that storm too. We are getting ready for the storm that is to hit tonight. You'll probably get it first. You will have to let me know how its going. I am hoping for some good old snow. If we get ice, I am stuck in the driveway! :D

Debbie

Evelyn said...

The house you're in now faired pretty well in that storm. When the electricity went out, the propane stove is still usable & will heat the house. The trees outside had limbs fall, but they are far enough from the house that they limbs fell on the ground, if they didn't stay up in the trees! The deadfall hasn't been all cleared out yet! I cleared a lot out last Spring. It's out in the pastures, in piles. I hope you're cutting it up, we need it out of the pastures for sure! We lost out on several bales of hay because of the piles.
Hope you don't have to do much driving in this! Stay warm & safe. And bundle up when you go out. I presume you're recovered from the last, ear problems... Don't get sick again!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Tonia said...

We will survive very well and probably end up with house guests too.. It does look like most of the ice will go south of us though. We are right on the line... It was a toasty 12 degrees this morning!!

Evelyn said...

I'm watching the weather channel & it looked like it was going to maybe miss you! One map showed the interstates & it was just barely the otherside of the interstate by you!

YEAAAAA!!!!

Hot Belly Mama said...

I hope you are stocked up on food and water!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Tonia said...

We have plenty of groceries and the only water controled by electric is the well for the livestock. House is on county so we would still have water generally. Even hot water thanks to propane water heater. They are saying more snow for us right now But still on that line!!! Have to get a few things so headed to town..

Shiloh Prairie Farm said...

I hope it isn't too bad of a storm! I need to check our weather forecast again I guess! Hey, I nominated you for the Butterfly Award! Check out my blog for the details!

Evelyn said...

Be sure to get pix afterward! We wanna see. And... we need storm baby names!

Once we get that cistern in, we can have it as an emergency water supply for the house & barns (or perm supply maybe).

TeamBettendorf said...

WOO HOO!! We will probably get hit as well. :)

American Way Farm said...

Never pleasant but always beautiful. Great pictures. Stay safe and warm. -Sandy