Friday, January 23, 2009

The Good and The Bad......

Bad news first.. This is Amy one of our Dexter cows.. She was pregnant with first baby.. I found him this morning froze.. It didn't get that cold last night.. I am a bit puzzled at him dying. He was all cleaned off but looks like he never moved from the spot he was born on....


Look pregnant.. I really cant tell.. LOL I a m being a bit sarcastic too..



Mother and Daughter Katahdins. Both pregnant..


Newest baby.. He was up and dry when we went down this morning..


Another pregnant Katahdin!! I thought she was farther along when we moved here but since being her I know what a pregnant sheep looks like!! Lol...

No I promise we do not torture our goats nor did she get into plumbing!!! Lol This is Cassie. I have dug her head out of the hay rack 6 times in the last week!!! SO she now has a pvc pipe duct taped to her head to prevent from trying to squeeze her head into the hay rack!! It doesn't hurt her and she will learn not to get her head in so far... I am thinking I should have taped it to the front of her horns though....



Dottie and Sunshine.. Ligaments are softening on these 2 and their udders are filling up. Dottie has given me twins both times she has kidded 2 girls and then 2 boys.. Sunshine gave me a single girl , then triplets(1 boy,2girls) and then last year twin boy and girl. So I am anxious to see what she has. She is also polled and usual passes it on to most of her babies. One of her babies out of the 6 she has given me has had horns. Which is good.

My little first freshener Hope is also building a bag!! It doubled just in the last few days!!! You can see it peeking out behind her back leg and look at that belly!! She would probably be offended if she knew I took a pic of her back end and belly and not her pretty face!! LOL
Have a Good Night!!





7 comments:

tree ocean said...

So sorry to hear about the calf! I wonder what happened too-was it a long labor, did it fall hard, did she step on it, was it just too weak...awwwww.

By the way, the rest of the herd looks lovely-so fat and shiny-the ewe with the new lamb is so beautiful!

I think if you duct taped the pipe to the front the goat would rub it right off, so behind is probably better-as long as she doesn't accidentally poke someone in the eye-maybe better stick some tennis balls on the end! LOL. BTW, what kind of goat is that? She looks like one of the cashmere producers Boss has named Moonbeam.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Tonia said...

I amnot sure about the calf Dexters are sneaky when it comes to having babies.. The only reason I really thought she had the baby was because she was not with everyone else this morning and went looking for her..
Cassie is a Kiko goat. She did run into one of the post in the barn first thing but I have watched her since and she didnt really seem to know they were there!! I may at least go put duct tape over the ends I dont have any tennis balls...

Evelyn said...

Poor Amy. Is she over it yet? Good girl to have cleaned him up.
I think putting the bar behind Cassie's horns is the way to go. She's not Kiko. Her mama is a Savanah cross. Handsome isn't her daddy, I forget what he is. Interesting that TO would mention cashmere. Her brother has a very soft, glossy coat!

Tabetha -n- Brian said...

Those are beautiful pictures! Your goats are so pregnant! :)

Goat Creek Grandma said...

Sorry to hear about the calf. I know its all a way of life but doesn't make it easier to handle.

I like the pvc idea. Wish I had thought of that last summer when one of my does kept getting her head caught in the fence!

Debbie

Carol-Anne said...

Note for new farm: be sure to have pvc pipe around for goats...lol. Good solution!

Sorry to hear about the calf. I take it mama is fine?

Love to see those big prego goats!

Gemini said...

Maybe he (Amy's calf) was stillborn?