Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ear Piercing...

Mean People!! I didn't ask for earrings!!!

Sheep Number Spotting.. Didn't get all the babies matched up with momma. So girls were watching from the hay bales trying to figure who was who... No we didn't install a sunroof in the barn.Lol The wind was a little rough the other day and took another piece of tin off. One of the many things needing to be done around here..


It looks like I am tagging the other ear but I am not..

WRONG END!!!! ..................... Don't worry we know tails from heads and found his ear!! Haha

Watching for numbers...... For some reason the new sheep rarely look up and just run from us on the ground. So 2 of us herd them to the hay bales and the other 2 watch to see the ear tag numbers.


Making sure we got the right ones.. Cat is Supervising...
Just a little bit Pregnant.. Her udder hasnt filled all the way yet... She has a few more days or a week probably.. This will be Dottie's 3rd Freshening and she has had twins the other 2 times.. So we will see what she has this time!!

Oh the pain... The stress of having a hole punched in your ear... Pretty boy didn't get one as he will be leaving in a week.. It just plum tuckered these boys out...


Mom and baby aren't to sure about us now...


Bottle babies love us though!!!



Yum we love our Mt. Dew and Pepsi... Okay its really milk.... Most goat bottle babies lean their heads to one side or the other when drinking from the bottle. I think it helps it go to the right stomach. I am not sure on this I need to go look it up and refresh m memory.


Oh yeah full bellies............... Fiona and the newest bottle baby.. No name yet. but she is a snuggler...

All the bottle babies are doing well. I seem to have uncommon good luck with bottle babies out of the bottle babies I have had in the last 6 years I have only lost 2. I think I have had 10-15 bottle babies. First year I had goats one had Floppy kid syndrome... and then this year the little boy lamb we lost was so tiny. Uneven twins..

I have been nursing all sorts of animals since I was a kid.. I would try and save the barn swallows that fell out of the nest. I had one that survived to start growing feathers till a snake found where I had hid him.... I always helped my mom & dad with bottle calves, lambs, pigs, or whatever we had.. Of course then you have to make decisions.. Its the hardest thing in the world to get rid of your bottle babies.. I sold my first doeling that was a bottle baby and she went to a very good home and is very well cared for.. But it was still tough...

Anyway we tagged all the new babies and they didn't like it.. Imagine that. I am getting better at it. I didn't hit any veins and so No ONE bled!! Yeah for me!! Some people tag when babies are born but I couldn't find smaller tags and these look huge on some of them now let alone when they are born.. SO they all have pretty purple earrings now.. Just on the left ear.. all the way up to #10.. I haven't tagged the bottle babies yet.. I know who they belong too.

My main milker is still showing serious signs of impending labor and one other goat, Wattles is too. So hopefully tomorrow will be the day. Its suppose to be 60* Wooo Hooo

Only thing that could make better is getting our Income tax refund tomorrow.. Hey it can happen! lol

6 comments:

Evelyn said...

lol!
It was before that the new mamas & babies didn't know about you... NOW they know for sure! Gonna take some seriuos treats (or a couple days) to make friends w/ them now! lol!
Good that all of them are tagged. Now, to get them registered. That might cost a pretty piece! Probably just do the girls now.
Poor Dottie! I remember those days! I remember being 2 weeks overdue & just soo ready to be rid of 'this baby'!
Too funny about being on top of the bale to look at them! That cat needs to pay attention while he's supervising! Just tooo funny!

Amy said...

Poor babies, gotta love those bottle abies!

Tabetha -n- Brian said...

Poor little things getting their ears pierced! :) They are all so cute, especially the bottle babies! :D

Shiloh Prairie Farm said...

Cute pictures! We tattoo our registered goats and it is my least favorite job on the farm. I hate to hear the babies yell.

KristieSue said...

Hello, I'm a fello Dallas County Homeschooler! I love your blog! This is our dream to sell our home in town and start a small farm in the country.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Tonia said...

So glad you stopped by Kristie!! I use to live right on the edge of Dallas and Laclede county. We have since moved closer to Lebanon. But the Homeschool yahoo group keeps up with a lot of the area I like so I lurk there mostly.. I am so glad you liked the blog!