Saturday, January 31, 2009

Babies and MORE Babies. Traumatic Birth

Baby Boys born yesterday afternoon.... Aren't they cute!Anna Wore out from all these babies..My Oldest farm girl!! I left her in the barn with her goat in labor... I thought it would be an easy birth... Key words I THOUGHT!!! Well I got home less then 2 hours later and no babies. She should have had them and been done at least an hour before.. So warning some people may think the next set of photos a little graphic or gross or something...


Anna the dog attending the impending birth.. Mom is nesting and wadding up the hay so nicely fluffed...

Ligaments are gone and its close.... Right above the white spot there is a dent and that is were her muscles have relaxed to have the babies...

Scratches are always nice especially in that spot....

More pawing and stretching...
Anna Patiently waiting.....

2 hours later We realize there is a problem and I had to untangle 3 kids!! She has never had any problem before but has always had 2 and would basically be done when we got there...

Less than 10 minutes and we have 2 girls and a boy.. The boy was the worse one of the 3 She was pushing and his head was bent back and he couldn't come through the birth canal.. I finally got a hoof and a head and pulled him..



Here we are helping to clean them up and Anna too.. Dottie(goat mom) and Anna(lgd) were cleaning babies together!!


3 fairly even-sized siblings all up and dry now and eating good.. She is a great momma and has more than enough colostrum. I milked a little out because a few may have some trouble and we might need that colostrum.


The boy, he was the biggest but not by much....
It was quite the eventful day!! I didn't think I would have this problem with her. She had twins both times before and no problems.. Unfortunately this means a round of antibiotics to keep infection away! I am looking up more things to do naturally to ward off infection and help her get back her strength and keep milk production going... She is one of my best mommas out there... In the middle of typing We had a false alarm too. But it may be a baby night!!!

4 comments:

Evelyn said...

I'm so glad you found out about Dottie having a problem!! This is why I'm not wild about triplets. Seems like trips is when the problems start. I'm glad Dottie didn't have a problem w/ Anna being so close. Anna seems to be a goat/sheep dog. Does Sam like the poultry better? Too bad he wanders, he'd be good over w/ the ducks!
I didn't realize that it was the spotted Katahdin that had the boys! FIANALY!!! She's been pregnant for what.... 7 months??!!??! :) This is her first time. The one who had trips, it's her 2nd time.

Goat Creek Grandma said...

Congratulations on the babies. I'm so glad everything worked out. Our first experience with birth was horrible. We lost mama and twins. All the book reading didn't help me at all plus the vet was no help to us. I so wished I would of had a goat 'mentor' to help me thru things.

Debbie

Tabetha -n- Brian said...

Oh such wonderful little baby goats!!! I am glad that the birth ended well, even though things didn't go so smoothly at first. Yay for 3 new goats to add to your family!!!

American Way Farm said...

Love the picture of Anna patiently waiting with legs in the air! Congrats on the babies. -Sandy