Saturday, January 10, 2009

Answering the Questions in the Comments...

I thought I would just post a few answers to some of the questions asked.I did put a comment but just thought this would be easier ...
We live on 50 acres here with about 40 in pasture more than enough for the animals we have especially when we start the Managed Intensive Grazing. We manage the farm For Evelyn who post comments on here. This is one way for her to keep up with the farm and for potential customers to see the farm.
Yep it is winter here. It may not look cold but it is today the high is only 33*! It was 60 yesterday!! That is why the pond doesnt stay frozen when we have temps that fluctuate so much and sun melts things here for sure when it comes out.. We really only have about 6-8 weeks of hard winter but the chance of snow is usually from November till April but gone with in a day if to early or to late. January and February are usually the worst for winter weather. Snow is optional most of the time.
Here in Missouri it is against the law to sell meat unless its processed and packaged in a USDA inspected facility. Of course that doesnt guarantee a clean facility!! But thats a whole different subject!! There isn't a facility close enough to make it worth the money to do that. So for now we sell it live on hoof and its delivered to a processor where the customer will pick it up in nice little tidy packages. We are keeping it simple since we are just starting. We can not ship across state lines either. Until we learn the ins and outs of this we will just be selling live animals.... I have been looking up the laws to make sure since we have sold our first lamb for processing.
I do try to keep my pics smaller because I remember the Dial-up days and the limits I had!! I do NOT miss it! lol

9 comments:

Amy said...

Good post.

Evelyn said...

And... a great farming partner Tonia is!!! The last one I had on the farm robbed me blind!

We have some things we want to do differently. I don't want to cut any of the boys, but she does. I'll keep trying to find a way to keep them intact & keep all but the selected male from breeding. I like the testosterone building muscles. & it's been proven that (at least w/ our breeds) testosterone doesn't hurt the meat. But... Tonia is the one on the farm, hands on w/ the stock. So, until I find a way for it to work, I just keep saying, "What if we did this? What about that?" And she keeps laughing at me & saying, "Noooo.... that won't work because...." She's really quite patient w/ me. I'll either find a way, or run out of permutations! Either way, my kids get to eat healthy meat & so to Tonia & her family.

I'm trying to talk her into bees next! She's already on board w/ a few turkeys. :) Did you know that most of our honey is now imported from China? It might say someplace else, but it starts in china & is sent to Germany, France, Wherever & then packaged as if it originated in that country. So, I want bees. But, Tonia's a little overwhelmed these days. :) We'll hold off on the bees for a bit!
Oh, and I dumped a bunch of fruit trees on her as well. They'll need bees in a few years & Tonia & family will have fruit from May to November! I won't be there for most of it, but I bet they & the animals w/ be happy!

Goat Creek Grandma said...

Thank you for the post Tonia, and Evelyn for her response. I wish DH and I could find a situation like this. We love the farm life and surely miss all of our animals. We had goats, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, ducks and a pair of peacocks.

I look forward to your next post. I'm living vicariously thru you! :D

Debbie

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Tonia said...

If we had 100 acres and could put the boys on the oposite side of the farm leaving them intact would be an option but with just 50 acres and wanting to control breeding we have to castrate. But we do it at the last possible minute which is around 10 weeks for lambs and kids and 3-4 months on the calves. THis gives plenty of testosterone to grow but at the same time makes it impossible for them to breed back the herd they are running with which would be alot of related animals.
As for the honey I only buy from locals!! Even what I get in the stores here is from as local of a source as I can get.. Which is about an hour away. Bees will be added soon. Lol All in Due time!!

mmpaints said...

It's the same on the butchering here too, but the shops in the area are terrible, don't follow directions and suspect of not getting your own meat back. I butcher my own. All I'm really worried about is feeding my own anyway. Too many with the "grocery store" attitude in this area.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Evelyn said...

Not getting our own back, processor not following instructions or not labeling packages, not having availablity or appointments when we need one are all reasons I want our own processing facility... on farm! I'm not planning on anything fancy. A kill area, first phase of processing (field dress) & then process/package area. That will double as a kitchen for other things as well. We'll also need a full bath, storage area (like a root cellar), an aging cooler & a little guest room as well.
That way, there's someplace for me to stay when I'm there & if Tonia has guests... they have a place to stay that lets Tonia & DH keep their house. I also figure that w/ all that fruit she'll have from the trees, she's gonna need a summer canning kitchen! And then there's the pond... (I want my guest room overlooking the pond.) When they're at the pond & need to use the rest room or get a drink... they won't have to go all the way back to the house (25 miles, uphill both ways in a blizzard, like when we were kids walking to school!)
I figure the equipment will cost more than actually building the place! We're VERY lucky that Toni's DH works as a cement brick mason!!! This'll be his side project. He can take as long as he wants to get it done. Until it is... if I visit... I'll have to stay in their house, cause I'm selling the motorhome. I can't afford to drive it anymore! I've sunk so much money in the farm... I'm broke! :O Selling the motorhome will give me some more money to pay for the facility.

tree ocean said...

lots of interesting info in the post and comments-sounds a lot more efficient to sell the critter and then drop them off for processing. Boss must use USDA processing-I know some processors stamp "not for resale" so they must not be...

your winters sound a lot like where I grew up-and to think I moved here years ago because I wanted to see real snow...lol

Shiloh Prairie Farm said...

Very interesting! There is a person that lives between our farm and town that has bees, and a honey for sale sign in their yard. I think the next time we need any honey I will go there instead of the store, to support small farms and yuck I didn't know most honey came from China now! Nothing from that country seems safe anymore does it.