Wednesday, December 10, 2008

One Wintery Day.....

We brought the littlest of the triplets in the house. She was just to cold and would probably dnot done as well out there.. She took right to the bottle Never had one take it like that!! lol I dont have names yet for any of them... I have to come up with 5 names. I am having a hard time decindg on the twin boys whether to sell them for bucks or keep for meat. They are just so pretty color wise that I would hate to use them for meat and also their momma is one of my hardy goats.. Decisions.. Exploring the house!!!................

Smile.................



Here is the milk I got this morning. Daisy the cow is doing really well! I got almost 3 quarts this morning. She is getting the hang of this milking thing. Now if her baby would cooperate and go in the barn when I lock Daisy up for the night instead of making her momma holler! She is LOUD!!
We also moved the pigs this morning they had run out of pasture and needed to be moved so they are now in the woods behind the barn happily digging up acorns and rooting to their little hearts content. We have a lot of space back there to move them around. I will have to get pictures later.
Its very cold the high today was only 30* and some of the schools closed due to the slick roads. We had to put on an extra layer this morning to keep warm. It took about 2 hours to get chores done. We hadn't put heaters in the water yet but I put at least the chickens water heater in. I can still break water for the cows and horses. The goats are only getting a thin layer of ice because its in the barn and I filled to old tires with hay and packed hay around it and as long as the sheep and goats don't eat the hay from around it it docent freeze or just gets a thin layer on the top.
We lost a rabbit this morning too. He was older and never adapted to the rabbit food we had and had gotten real skinny. I couldnt get the feed the people we got him from had its was from another town. But we only have 2 females so one male is enough.
One of the bad things about the cold is it seems to wear you out more!!
The sun is shining now but still cold. They are saying 60*s for Sunday and ice storm possible Monday and Tuesday...

2 comments:

Evelyn said...

What a cute baby! One thing I really like about goats is that they always have to seem to have a smile on their faces! Even when they're complaining that you're treating them badly... they have that smile. I swore that I wouldn't raise bottle babies, but... I might be persuaded to 'help' raise some. They could come visit & I'd babysit. 5 names... that'd be hard to come up w/all at once! What's the theme this year? Could try names based on trees or plants. Have you done flowers? Go to one of the name websites & peruse the offerings they have. I always come up w/ something when I go shopping like that.
That's a LOT of milk for one day! But, you have a goat that gives that much... don't you? Even so, not bad for her 2nd day. How much do you figure you'll get when she gets totally onboard w/ it? Do I sense butter in a few days?
30F as a high is just toooo much cold for me to handle! I'd **guess** you'd have to put an extra layer on!!! OMG!! And an ice storm already?!?!? Don't you usually have to wait for January for those little bits of fun? All I can is I'm soooo glad I'm in SoCal this winter!!!!! I'm cold right now, but I'm also wearing a Tshirt! I never turn on the heat in the house!
Too bad about the rabbit. But, one on one w/ the females does seem like a waste of 25% of the wabbit food.

Try not to freeze!

Shiloh Prairie Farm said...

Cute pictures!