Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Oh To Milk A Cow!!!......



I have the Head Stanchion built. My mom and I built it yesterday. Didn't do to bad if I do say so myself!! Hubby even approved. I did notice I need to fill in some of the wide spots so she doesn't try to stick her head in the wrong way. We got momma and baby in the barn and locked in the stall last night. Separate but close enough neither was to bad freaked out...
SO fast forward to this morning... I had feed and everything On the off chance I would be able to actually milk her.. LOL Yeah okay I was just going to plop down beside her and start milking.... Uh yeah only in a dream world where every animal is tame enough and understands that you need the milk from them.. I really didn't expect to be able to milk her this morning so wasn't severely disappointed. I did get her in the stall and latched in. She calmed down with the food. But when I went to touch her udder she brought the back leg up quick!! Notice the smug little baby peeking for the other side with the Milk Goatee!!
These short legged little Dexter's can pack a heck of backhanded sort of kick!! LOL One of the other cows got me a couple of months ago when I was petting her down the side. I avoided being kicked by Daisy today though because I was watching for it. I left her in while I did the other chores in the barn and she ate the grain I had for her. Which was Beet pulp and oats with a little corn. I am not sure yet what I will be using all the time kind of playing with the mix at this point.. She is bigger then the Goat First Fresheners. lol All the ones I have milked I either had from birth or had been milked before. Then I put them up on the stand and hold in place with my shoulder if I have to. Some Goats lay down on you or climb the other side of the Stand with their back legs!! Quite the Sight to see LOL! Cows aren't quite as agile as goats Thank Goodness or I would never milk them! There is a big difference in a goat that's weighs 150-200lbs and a small cow that weighs about 700-800lbs... If she keeps kicking I may have to get what they call a kicker. It Keeps them from being able to kick.. Another thing I am not sure what to do about is the tail!! That thing HURTS!!! One more in favor of the goats! lol
I left her in the barn with baby Velvet and some hay. She will get use to being in there and then I will let her out in the barn yard and then eventually out with everyone else again. When she quits rolling her eyes when she is in the head stanchion it will be easier. Right now she isn't convinced its a good thing besides the fact that she did get treats!! At the same time we will be taming Velvet the baby and working with her to get her use to being handled and she will be one we use for milking also. Now she isn't so sure about us because we did separate her from momma last night and then we were back this morning... Another great adventure here on the farm!!
For those of you wondering NO BABIES!!! I did feel some movement on my big white goat Gina. She may have another 2 weeks. Ethel just defies all! Brat! It will have to be soon she cant go on like this!! It will probably be Saturday when we are gone to get the new sheep!! I don't think they will have any problems but I still like to be there!!
SO that's what is happening!! We are suppose to get more rain tonight and its going to get cold again! Shiiivver!!

5 comments:

Shiloh Prairie Farm said...

Looks like you did a good job building that even if the cow doesn't appreciate it. :) Thanks for the tips on moving round bales of hay without a hay spike, we have small squares for the goats and rounds for the horse. I have been feeding the horse the squares because we haven't been able to move the round bales. Not good because if we can't use the round bales we will have to buy even more square bales, so I really appreciate the hints.

Evelyn said...

Good looking stanchion! It's attached to the post holding the roof? What are the white/dark bands on the post from?
My guess is that you're going to have to tie her leg & her tail until she gets used to being milked. Then, tie the leg loosely, so she can kick, but not so she can reach you w/ the kick. Once she tolerates milking. You can station one of the girls at her head & pull the feed the instant she swats you or kicks at you. Hold it away for a minute then give it back after you've begun milking again. Reward her for letting you milk & take the reward away when she tries to get rid of you.
Careful on the corn, it causes acidosis & high Omega 6 instead of Omega 3 fatty acids. Big reason that we pasture. What would you think about getting alfalfa or alfalfa mix hay to feed while milking instead? I'll bet she likes the beet pulp tho.... doesn't she? The horses sure did!

I'm watching the Weather Channel. There are some cities in Iowa & MI that broke snow records last year & are ahead of that so far this year!! You got more water last year than you've gotten in a LONG time! I wonder what it'll be like this coming Spring!??! Chicago & other places are worried that they might not have enough salt for the roads.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Tonia said...

The white/dark bands is shadow and light from the sunrise. It actually had very little corn compared. I wouldnt give much of that.What ever I use for her I will use for the goats too. I give very very little corn to the goats.. Daisy hasnt turned down anything I have offered her yet!Lol
I do the reward thing with the goats. My older ones will get cranky sometimes and I take the grain for a few and they straighten up. Most of the time!!..

tree ocean said...

Those black and white shadows look like a cookbook diagram of beef cuts-if she doesn't smarten up. LOL just kidding.

I like the pointer of taking away the grain when they are bad, but my goats eat their grain so fast...I used to feed the calves and goats quite a bit of corn without trouble but just give the mix now. One goat I have used to eat around all the oats in the mix. LOL

Amy said...

Good job! I'll just stick with milking the goats;)