Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fourth Time Is Apparently The Charm!!



The goats are in the barn!!! I wasn't able to get to their hooves something came up. But I will get it done tomorrow around noon. Most hooves don't look bad at all. They have a bale of hay and its suppose to rain all night till tomorrow afternoon.


We have D.E to put out free choice but I noticed they would eat the Sea kelp but wasn't touching the D.E. They need the D.E. for worms and they aren't getting it.. I know some of them might not need it but some are showing signs of worms. SO I took and mixed the D.E. and Sea kelp with a little shredded beet pulp for flavor... They ate it.. I don't know if I should do this or not.. It is still something I am thinking about.. If anyone knows a reason why not please let me know. Because most of the people who say D.E. is not working for deworming are feeding it free choice the ones it seems to be working for them are feeding it mixed with feed or some other source of food they get on a regular basis.... Just something I have been looking at lately...


Pic is of goats on the composting pile playing king/queen of the mountain... Camera decided to focus on the wires instead of goats! And does anyone know what this is? It kind of reminds me of Marigolds......

3 comments:

tree ocean said...

I am not sure I can spell it correctly, but I guess you are talking about Diotonaecious Earth. Boss used to mix it in with the grain ration I think two or three days in a row. I have not used it, but mine are due for a worming!

Not sure about the flower either-we might not have it here, but it looks similar to Margeurite.

Evelyn said...

I'd feed the DE mixed w/ only as much (of whatever) as it takes to get them to eat it. Beet pulp is sweet & might cause acidosis. I think that's why i had trouble getting the DE/beet pulp mix into them. I was very surprised when you said that they were eating straight DE. Maybe some broken up alfalfa pellets? Or alfalfa cubes, soaked to make them DE stick to it & mushed. Although, some say that the DE doesn't work if it gets wet. But... it'll get wet when it's eaten, so I don't understand that!

The flower does look like a type of Margeurite (not sure on spelling, French for Daisy). I don't remember it specifically. The goats love the lavendar specimens on the farm, do they eat these?

Evelyn said...

Found this to try ID of that weed.